Saturday, February 13, 2010

Salt Lake Hip Hop Scene

I have always been into local talent. No matter where I lived, I could always find dope tracks written and produced by one individual with infinite potential and obvious talent. I know alot of these people personally. I myself, dabbled in the hip hop scene. Writing, writing, writing, producing, but never finished anything. I rarely finish what I start. Even when I know the project is golden, I don't finish it. Why, you ask? Because I'm distracted by shiny objects. As you can see, from the tangient I am going off on, lol. Anyways, back to the subject. Local talent. There's alot of it. Here in Salt Lake, where I call I my home, the hip hop/rap scene is evolving. First, I would hear west coast style lyrics. Such as: I'll bust a cap in your face cuz you a disgrace. Well, I don't get into that type of shit anymore. It sounds good once in awhile. I don't know about you, but I like music with content. Music with emotions, music with somebody's strength and hope. Even the occasional club song, as long as it isn't produced by Lil Jon. God, I can't stand him. What?!?!?!?! That's right, he sounds like Puff Daddy diagnosed with Torrets Syndrome.

One person, I've come across, and actually live right across the hall from, is my boy 4 Seasons a.k.a. Radio. He's got really good delivery and raw potential. Anybody with a pair of ears can hear it. I love the style, too. The Mid-Western hip hop style has got something the rest of the country don't. Strength, and I'm not talkin the strength to shoot somebody. Anybody can do that. Strength that comes from within, out your lungs, and off the tip of your tongue.







Another local rapper you should tune into, is Jonesy a.k.a. Christian Jones. He's got that fresh "In da club" R&B/Hip Hop sound. This one really appeals to the high heels in Salt Lake City. Shot out to Christian and Mya V.

Keep comin back, cuz I'll be updating this one on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment